HLT51015 Diploma of Paramedical Science
Whilst there is no pre-requisite to gain entry into this course, Best Practice will require you to evidence a Certificate III in Non-Emergency Patient Transport or Certificate IV in Health Care along with 6 months full time or 12 months part time equivalent experience.
You will also need to achieve a successful competence in the below role requirements to gain a qualification for this course.
- Perform patient assessments including accepting and providing handover to other healthcare professionals.
- Monitor patients and provide care within your scope of practice
- Read and understand cardiac rhythms
- Understand medications and the contraindications.
- Perform various manual handling tasks
- Navigate to locations (hospitals, nursing homes and private homes)
- Communicate effectively with a range of people
- Work as a team player
- Provide empathy and high-quality patient care
- Manage difficult situations and people
- You will also need to participate in 160 hours of placement within the industry.
To gain entry into this course you will need to:
- Complete the student enrolment form
- Students will need to be able to speak and write English and possess developed literacy and numeracy skills to the following Australian Core Skills Foundation (ACSF) levels
- Learning 4
- Reading 3
- Writing 3
- Oral Communication 3
- Numeracy 4
To assess these levels for each student, they will be required to complete an LLN test prior to successfully enrollment, this will be assessed by our Training Manager and resulted discussed with each student.
- Provide a certified copy and transcript of your Certificate III in Non-Emergency Patient Transport qualification or Certificate IV in Health Care
- Complete the student declaration
- Provide a copy of your driver’s licence
- Provide a copy of your working with children’s check
- Provide a copy of a valid police check (can take 2 weeks)
- Have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) – For further information please talk with our enrolment team
The course will be delivered and assessed utilising a number of modes which include:
- Direct observation/practical demonstration
- Oral questioning
- Written questioning (activities, Q&A, test/exam)
- Role play
- Case study
- Workplace assignment
- Driving Assessment
- Industry based placement (160 Hours)
- On-Line Learning*
*Students will need to ensure they have a computer and access to the internet to complete on-line modules.
RPL and Credit Transfer
All Best Practice students are eligible to apply for prior skills recognition for units within each course they enrol in. Students need to request an application kit from our office complete the application and provide evidence to support each unit they are applying for RPL.
Each unit application will have a fee attached which will be $300.00 to enable Best Practice to assess your provided evidence for each unit and advise if your prior learning is competent based on the assessment and learning outcomes for each unit.
On receipt of application kit an invoice will be sent, once payment has been received then Best Practice will commence the assessment of your evidence against the assessment and learning outcomes of each unit.
Best Practice will notify you in writing of your RPL outcomes, please allow approximately 2 weeks from when payment is made for your outcome.
Best Practice Health Education also offers Credit Transfer (CT), students need to provide evidence that that have completed formal training through another organisation. There is an administrative cost of $50 per unit for Credit Transfer.
Course Structure and Hours
- 352 hours of supervised instruction
- 160 hours of work placement are mandatory for unit HLTAMB008.
- 281 hours of online activities
- 100 hours of unsupervised activities, take home assessments
The face to face hours will be delivered in the below format
- 2 days a week (8 hours per day) x 22 weeks
The 22 weeks will be spread out over 3 blocks, to support students in managing their study and work commitments along with providing students opportunities to experience their theoretical knowledge into practical during placement hours.
Students will be required to complete the course within 12 months of enrolment date. Students that experience difficulties in completing the course within this timeframe can contact our office to discuss options.
Industry Based Placement
Student placement will be provided by Health Select our industry partner, students will be able to attend placement shifts from any of Health Select’s 7 branches across the state. Students will be required to attend shifts across morning, afternoon and evening along with weekdays and weekends. We envisage that this placement will be completed over 15 to 16 shifts, depending on shift length.
- The total course cost is $10,000.00 per student.
- An initial deposit of $1500.00 is required to secure your place in the course.
- The remainder $8,500.00 can be paid back throughout the course as per the following payment structure.
- $2125.00 due by the end of week 5
- $2125.00 due by the end of week 9
- $2125.00 due by the end of week 15
- $2125.00 due by the end of week 22